Multifunctional Hybrid Filler-Based Composite Coatings (RFT-601/602)
Current filler system approach in the field of nanoparticle infused polymers achieves improvement in performance in very few aspects, compromising other properties. These processes are also time consuming, require extensive solvents and have high energy consumption, making fabrication expensive. Researchers at North Dakota State University have developed a novel nano-composite epoxy polymer coating. Our hybridized binary nano-filler coating overcomes several limitations with reproducible results. This hybrid filler system and modified epoxy prevents aggregation of the nanoparticles in the coating and its hydrophobicity prevents fouling and corrosion. Novel amphiphobic nanoparticle layer can be brushed or dusted onto the coating and it imparts several benefits such as self-cleaning, anti-corrosion, anti-icing, anti-wetting properties. The biggest advantage of these novel hybrid fillers is the retention of the polymer's fundamental properties with enhanced performance. Being tested on various substrates, this technology has applications in a myriad of fields.
- Oil and gas industry
- Metal industry
- Civil Infrastructure
Phase of Development
This technology has successfully completed laboratory testing with reproducible results.
- Novel binary filler combination
- Cost effective, solvent free fabrication
- Simple fabrication and application process
- Self-cleaning, anti-icing, anti-wetting properties
- Increased water repellency and mechanical strength
- Enhanced corrosion and fouling protection
- Boosted shelf life and reduced maintenance costs
- Retains nascent electrical, mechanical and tribological properties
- Equal protection from water and oil,
- Long term durability and low degradation compared to industry standards
- Compatible and Effective on a variety of substrates
This technology is patent pending in the U.S. and is available for licensing/partnering opportunities.
Saurabhi Satam, Business Development and Licensing Associate
NDSURF Tech Key
RFT, 601, 602, RFT601, RFT602
Inquire about this technology >